Friday, December 4, 2009

Hardest soldering job of my life so far...

Feeling pretty good right now, just finished soldering one of the hardest devices I have ever done so far... A Microchip PIC18F97J60 100pin TQFP surface mount PIC.  Used the solder wick method, and only issue I had was one pin near the bottom shifted a bit due to too much pressure with the solder wick.  However was able to move it over carefully with a needle and the PIC fired up and is running my program. Now whether I find one of the ports dead 6mos from now is another story...  The pins are about the size if the "I" in the word "LIBERTY" on a penny.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce! Thanks.... I know it's silly, but was pretty excited. Been looking at solder paste and oven reflow soldering... may make stuff like this pretty trivial :)

    ReplyDelete